Damages Caused by a Back Injury
Back pain is the worst. When your back is hurting every single day, it becomes difficult to enjoy your life. If your back injury was caused by an accident, you may be able to file a back injury claim to get compensation. Compensation can help you in many ways.
- It can allow you to pay off any medical expenses you’ve had to pay, such as prescriptions, physical therapy, and surgeries.
- It can make up for all the time you may have missed from work due to your back injury and pain from the injury.
- It can pay for future wage loss if your back injury isn’t getting better and you can no longer work. You may need compensation to provide for your entire future.
Filing a Back Injury Claim
Do you want to get compensated for your back injury? First, you must figure out if your injury was caused by someone’s carelessness or recklessness. When someone else caused you to get hurt, they can be held liable for your injury, due to a law called negligence. No one should have to pay for damages that someone else is responsible for.
However, how do you file a personal injury claim, anyway? It’s not easy. In most cases, you want to speak with a personal injury attorney. They handle these types of cases, let you know if you have a good case, and how much money you can stand to gain by filing a claim against a negligent party.
So the basic steps for filing a claim for a back injury are as follows:
- File your claim paperwork with the negligent party’s insurance company.
- Give all your evidence to a lawyer, so he or she can prepare a case for you.
- Attend all doctor visits, making sure to document every visit, your injuries, and how much the medical care is costing you.
- Be careful not to talk to insurance companies if they try to contact you. Insurers can be tricky, and they may try to get you to settle a case for less than your back injury case is worth. Or, they may try to trick you into saying the wrong thing.
- Follow any advice your lawyer and doctor give you, so as not to do any harm to your case.
Types of Damages You May Be Able to Obtain
The whole reason for you to file a claim is so that you can obtain financial compensation for all the ways your back injury has affected your life. Back injuries are no joke, and they can keep you from enjoying activities that once gave your life meaning. The physical pain can also make your life unbearable.
You may need this money so you can afford surgeries to repair your back, to pay for pain management, or provide for your future.
Here are a few of the damages a back injury victim could request in a personal injury claim:
- Pain and suffering
- Missed work wages and permanent disability compensation
- Loss of life enjoyment
- Permanent injury/scarring/disfigurement
- All medical expenses related to your back injury
- Caregiving expenses
- Mental trauma
- Mental health treatment
You May Want to Call a Lawyer
Back injuries are painful and could change your life forever. If your injury was caused by another party’s negligence, you can file a claim seeking damages for your injury. It is possible to file a claim on your own, but it would be tough to do, and you may not get as much compensation. A back injury lawyer can help you get full compensation.